Pulled from multiple disciplines and backgrounds, we are driven by the common belief that rigorous planning and intentional utilization of data will empower organizations to achieve real, lasting impact.
Jacob has worked with mission-driven organizations for over fifteen years and in a dozen countries around the world. He has led the strategic design, implementation, and measurement of social impact programs run by Presidents Bush and Clinton, Goldman Sachs, the Alzheimer’s Association, the Nature Conservancy, and many others. He serves on the board of directors for Mary’s Meals, which feeds a daily meal in school to one million children living in desperate poverty.
- Manager, The Bridgespan Group
- Project Lead, NP Strategies
- University of California San Diego, PhD (ABD); Stanford University, MA
Dr. Trent Kaufman is the Chief Executive Officer of the Cicero Group (www.cicerogroup.com). In 2006, he sold to Cicero the education transformation firm he had founded five years earlier. Today, that company, Education Direction (www.eddirection.com) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Cicero’s and works with over a thousand schools around the world to measurably improve student learning. Dr. Kaufman is respected globally for developing sophisticated systems to enable the use of performance data to maximize individual and team performance at organizations of varied purpose and form. He is a leading author of two best-selling books surrounding organizational transformation. Prior to becoming a leading thinking in organizational design and transformation, Dr. Kaufman’s first “career” was in public education. He began as a social studies teacher in Washington D.C. before becoming a high school principal in the Bay Area of California. Trent received a bachelor’s degree in Social Science, with an emphasis in Economics from Brigham Young University. He earned a master’s degree in Education and Leadership from the University of California, Berkeley. Trent earned a master’s degree in Policy Management and a doctorate in Performance Management from Harvard University. Trent’s public service includes volunteer leadership positions with the Boy Scouts of America, church service, and advisory board roles with the Nike Innovation Fund, Strayer University, and High School Futures.
- Founder, Education Direction
- Research Fellow, Harvard University
- Harvard University, PhD, MS
- UC Berkeley, MS
- Brigham Young University, BS Social Science
Randy Shumway founded the Cicero Group (www.cicerogroup.com) in 2001 with four people working out of a basement. At the beginning of 2017, when Randy stepped down as CEO, Cicero had grown to over 350 professionals with offices crossing the United States. In 2016, Randy was awarded Utah’s Lifetime Achievement award and was named CEO of the Year in recognition of his professional accomplishments. Randy’s vision in founding Cicero was to deliver more than mere strategic recommendations to organizations but to actually roll-up sleeves and help organizations effectively execute the ideas. During his more than 16 years at Cicero, Randy has led multiple transformation and change management engagements for Fortune 1000 clients in such sectors as High Tech, Telecommunications, Life Sciences, Manufacturing, Financial Services, Consumer Products and Education. Having stepped down as CEO, Randy today leads the Change Management and Transformation practice at Cicero as well as the firm’s private equity subsidiary. Randy is on the corporate board of Snowhite and of Angoss Software (TSX: ANC). He serves on two state appointed boards – the state’s Economic Council and its Education Commission. Randy serves on multiple volunteer boards such as Southern Utah University, Utah’s Employment Taskforce, Boy Scouts of America Great Salt Lake Council, and EducationFirst. He is a prolific author in the Deseret News and in Forbes regarding effective education and economic public policy. Prior to starting Cicero, Randy was the Executive Vice President and Managing Partner at Answerthink. He started his career at Bain & Company. Randy obtained his MBA from Harvard Business School, graduating with highest academic honors (Baker Scholar).
- Executive Vice President and Managing Partner, Answerthink
- Associate, Bain & Company
- Harvard Business School, MBA, highest academic honors
At Cicero Group, Allison works directly with education leaders to improve teaching and learning at scale. Allison has experience in K-12 public education as a Teacher, Reading Specialist, and Program Director. This experience gives her a unique perspective when working with schools and districts across the country. Allison chaired Harvard Graduate School of Education’s Language and Literacy student organization and serves as a member of the Read Today Advisory Board.
- Teacher and Reading Specialist
- Curriculum Writer and Program Director
- Harvard University, Graduate School of Education, MEd
Anna Smyth specializes in strategic philanthropy consulting. She creates customized social impact goals for her clients and accompanying systems to measure and evaluate success. Prior to joining Cicero Social Impact, Anna worked for the government managing annual grantmaking of over $4 million to nonprofits and universities.
- Community Engagement Manager, Office of the Lt. Governor
- Marketing & Outreach Officer, Utah System of Higher Education
- Asst. Director of International Development, Universidad Francisco Marroquin
- Adjunct Faculty, University of Utah
- University of Utah, MS
Blake leads projects on sales design and transformation, change management, and consumer marketing research. His primary role is to work with Cicero’s diverse client base uncovering and implementing data-driven sales and marketing improvements; enabling him to develop a deep understanding of industries such as healthcare, higher education and waste services.
- Founder, Kickball for a Home (with the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption)
- Foreign Service Officer for the US Department of State
- Founder, DocBerry International
- Northwestern, Master’s in Public Policy and Administration (2018 Candidate)
- University of Utah, BA in Behavioral Science, Business Minor
At Cicero Group, Carrie is focused on driving improvements to student outcomes, particularly for highly-impacted populations, by coupling her ten years of classroom and five years of administrative experience. As a former Dean of Students, she has experience growing enrollment and has successfully designed and implemented K-12 character education programs as a Fellow.
- Fellow at National Association of Independent Schools
- Dean of Students and Admission Director
- Teacher, St. Vrain Valley School District, Colorado
- Pacific University, MEd; University of Puget Sound, BA; University of Burgundy, BA
Chad has expertise in serving the needs of international, public sector, technology, and healthcare clients of Cicero Group. He previously served as a U.S. Diplomat, working on trade, security, and economic development initiatives. He is a Lauder Fellow at the University of Pennsylvania and serves on the Board of Trustees for the Utah Council for Citizen Diplomacy.
- U.S. Chargé d’Affaires (Acting Ambassador), Samoa
- Special Assistant to U.S. Assistant Secretary of State
- University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, MBA, honors; University of Pennsylvania, MA, Lauder Fellow; Stanford University, BA
Dallin has experience serving the needs of finance and education clients. Prior to joining Cicero Group, he worked in the United States House of Representatives, as a public school teacher in the Bronx with Teach For America, and for ReadWorks, an educational nonprofit. Dallin graduated magna cum laude from Brigham Young University with a degree in international relations and holds a master of arts in teaching from the Relay Graduate School of Education.
- Teach for America Corps Member, New York City
- Curriculum Writer and Technology Consultant, ReadWorks
- Brigham Young University, BA International Relations
Daniel serves a variety of organizations through the design and implementation of detailed measurement strategies and programs. Hailing from a background in accounting and economic research, Daniel believes correct individual measurement of impact not only improves specific organizations, but has beneficial effects through entire regions, sectors, and governments.
- Controller with Premier Credit Consulting
- Researcher at the Center for Public Lands and Rural Economics
- Utah State University, Bachelors in Accounting
David has experience serving the needs of telecommunication, pharmaceutical, distribution, and Fortune 500 manufacturing clients. Prior to joining Cicero Group, he worked at Apple on the U.S. iPhone team as a financial analyst, Beneficial Financial Group and Peterson Partners (a private equity firm). David graduated from Brigham Young University with a degree in finance.
- Financial Analyst, Apple Inc.
- Intern, Peterson Partners
- Brigham Young University, BS Finance
Dr. Pettersson has over 22 years of experience in public education. She has developed and implemented comprehensive curriculum and other instructional programs. She is a frequent author of articles on student achievement, educational improvement, and social impact. Dr. Pettersson’s doctoral dissertation focus was on systematic change in Utah schools. She holds master degrees in Educational Leadership and Policy and Special Education.
- Adjunct Professor, University of Utah
- School District Curriculum Director, Administrator, Psychologist and Teacher
- University of Utah, School of Psychology, PhD, MA, MS, APA accredited
Jennifer is a highly motivated, results-oriented and empathetic professional dedicated to helping organizations and individuals achieve excellence and breakthrough results. She has developed a recognized expertise in change and transformation management in both profit and nonprofit sectors. Jennifer is now sought after for her leadership coaching and team building talent, focused on helping leaders tackle the challenges inherent in their roles, enabling both personal growth and organizational results.
- Executive Coach, The Tankersley Group
- Global Knowledge Expert: Change Management, The Boston Consulting Group
- Cofounder, Principal, Board Chair, and Advisor, NP Strategies
- Project Leader, Consultant, The Boston Consulting Group
- The Anderson School at UCLA, MBA
Jonathan Stevens is an Associate with Cicero Group specializing in finance, strategy and operational improvement projects. Jonathan’s primary practice areas include the education technology and entertainment sectors. Major projects include the creation of a new business unit within a multi-national company, a market segmentation analysis for a client looking to improve product offerings, and development of a go-to-market strategy for a client looking to expand the geographical footprint of their business.
- Investment Banking Analyst, Wells Fargo Securities
- Corporate Bond Analyst, Franklin Templeton Investments
- The University of Chicago Booth School of Business, MBA
- Brigham Young University, BS Mathematics, Economics
Marshall N. Toplansky is a widely published and award-winning marketing professional and successful entrepreneur. He is an adjunct professor at the Chapman University Argyros School of Business and Economics, and serves as the Chair of Cicero Institute, Cicero's research and thought leadership arm. Marshall serves on multiple corporate and volunteer boards of directors.
- Chapman University
- KPMG, Managing Director
- Sr. VP Ogilvy & Mather
- VP Marketing strategy and insights, Gateway.
- VP of Marketing, US Robotics
- Harvard University, MBA
Michelle Call has experience consulting finance, technology, and nonprofit clients. Prior to joining Cicero Group, she developed a new product line and patent-pending analytics platform for a national food service company. She also worked at Sears Holding Corporation, New Level Group Consulting, and in the United States Senate. Michelle graduated from the University of Chicago with honors and a degree in political science.
- Business Analyst, SAGE Dining Services
- Business Analyst Intern, Sears Holdings Corporation
- President, recipient of Distinguished Service Award, UChicago chapter of business-interest professional fraternity
- University of Chicago, BA
Quinn provides analytical insights to drive understanding for clients in multiple sectors including social impact, technology, leadership, and education. Using data to monitor and evaluate non-profit organizations, he garners insights that ensure effective management. Whether evaluating non-profits, measuring market opportunities, or improving donor and customer engagement, Quinn utilizes sharp analytical skills to find implementable solutions to help organizations achieve their specific missions. Quinn previously worked with regional Ford automotive dealerships, developing strong consumer relationships through data analysis. He is a graduate of Brigham Young University where he studied business management and Chinese.
- Consumer Analytics Manager, Catch It Events
- Brigham Young University, BS Management and Chinese
Rocio Summers has extensive strategy and financial consulting experience, with a focus on international corporations and not-for-profit organizations. She held various positions at Maxam North America, including Chief Financial Officer from 2006 to 2016, and currently sits on the board for SelectHealth, Girls on the Run, Utah Women’s Forum, and Pilar Pobil’s Legacy Foundation. Rocio has aided the international expansion of large corporations and led numerous finance and accounting teams.
- Founder, RS International Business Consulting
- Board Member, SelectHealth, Intermountain Healthcare Group
- CFO, Maxam North America
- Instituto de Empresa (ie) in Madrid, MA
- Harvard Business School, General Management Program
Ryan specializes in strategy and statistical design and analysis, which he leverages in a variety of industries. Prior to joining Cicero Group, he worked in revenue management for Allegiant Air, as a consultant for Sears Holdings Corporation, and as an analyst for a small-business consulting firm. Ryan graduated cum laude from Brigham Young University with a degree in business management and strategy and a minor in statistics.
- Revenue Analyst, Allegiant Travel Co.
- Brigham Young University, BS Business Management (Strategy)
Serene has experience serving the needs of higher education, social impact, political, and financial clients. Prior to joining Cicero Group, she worked for a Washington, D.C., law firm and as a research assistant at Brigham Young University’s political science department and law school. Serene graduated from Brigham Young University with a degree in political science and Japanese.
- Paralegal, Rosenau LLP
- Brigham Young University, BA Political Science
Tyler Hardy is an Engagement Manager at Cicero Group. In this role, Tyler has provided strategic insight and direction to major public and private entities in the Technology, Entertainment, Retail, and Healthcare industries. He also works frequently with nonprofit organizations to define change models, drive social innovation, and measure impact. Tyler’s expertise spans strategic planning, new product development, process improvement, and service and experience design. His major projects have included the integration of a predictive sales model that increased close rates by 10% and average per unit price by 12%, and the design of a nationally recognized leadership development program sponsored by former U.S. presidents.
- Strategy and Analytics Manager, Nike
- Kellogg School of Management, MBA Northwestern University, MS Design Innovation
- Brigham Young University, BS in Management