Pulled from multiple disciplines and backgrounds, we are driven by the common belief that rigorous planning and intentional utilization of data will empower organizations to achieve real, lasting impact.
Dr. Trent Kaufman is the Chief Executive Officer of Cicero Group. In 2006, he sold to Cicero the education transformation firm he had founded five years earlier. Today, that company, Education Direction (www.eddirection.com) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Cicero’s and works with over a thousand schools around the world to measurably improve student learning. Dr. Kaufman is respected globally for developing sophisticated systems to enable the use of performance data to maximize individual and team performance at organizations of varied purpose and form. He is a leading author of two best-selling books surrounding organizational transformation. Prior to becoming a leading thinker in organizational design and transformation, Dr. Kaufman’s first “career” was in public education. He began as a social studies teacher in Washington D.C. before becoming a high school principal in the Bay Area of California. Trent received a bachelor’s degree in Social Science, with an emphasis in Economics from Brigham Young University. He earned a master’s degree in Education and Leadership from the University of California, Berkeley. Trent earned a master’s degree in Policy Management and a doctorate in Performance Management from Harvard University.
- Founder, Education Direction
- Research Fellow, Harvard University
- Harvard University, PhD, MS
- UC Berkeley, MS
- Brigham Young University, BS Social Science
Randy Shumway founded the Cicero Group in 2001 with four people working out of a basement. At the beginning of 2017, when Randy stepped down as CEO, Cicero had grown to over 350 professionals with offices crossing the United States. In 2016, Randy was awarded Utah’s Lifetime Achievement award and was named CEO of the Year in recognition of his professional accomplishments. Randy’s vision in founding Cicero was to deliver more than mere strategic recommendations to organizations but to actually roll-up sleeves and help organizations effectively execute the ideas. During his more than 16 years at Cicero, Randy has led multiple transformation and change management engagements for Fortune 1000 clients in such sectors as High Tech, Telecommunications, Life Sciences, Manufacturing, Financial Services, Consumer Products, and Education. Having stepped down as CEO, Randy today leads the Change Management and Transformation practice at Cicero as well as the firm’s private equity subsidiary. Randy is on the corporate board of Snowhite and of Angoss Software (TSX: ANC). He serves on two state-appointed boards – the state’s Economic Council and its Education Commission. Randy serves on multiple volunteer boards such as Southern Utah University, Utah’s Employment Taskforce, Boy Scouts of America Great Salt Lake Council, and EducationFirst. He is a prolific author in the Deseret News and in Forbes regarding effective education and economic public policy. Prior to starting Cicero, Randy was the Executive Vice President and Managing Partner at Answerthink. He started his career at Bain & Company. Randy obtained his MBA from Harvard Business School, graduating with highest academic honors (Baker Scholar).
- Executive Vice President and Managing Partner, Answerthink
- Associate, Bain & Company
- Market Manager, Dow Chemical
- Harvard Business School, MBA, highest academic honors
At Cicero Group, Allison works directly with education leaders to improve teaching and learning at scale. Allison has experience in K-12 public education as a Teacher, Reading Specialist, and Program Director. This experience gives her a unique perspective when working with schools and districts across the country. Allison chaired Harvard Graduate School of Education’s Language and Literacy student organization and serves as a member of the Read Today Advisory Board.
- Teacher and Reading Specialist
- Curriculum Writer and Program Director
- Harvard University, Graduate School of Education, MEd
Blake leads projects on sales design and transformation, change management, and consumer marketing research. His primary role is to work with Cicero’s diverse client base uncovering and implementing data-driven sales and marketing improvements; enabling him to develop a deep understanding of industries such as healthcare, higher education and waste services.
- Founder, Kickball for a Home (with the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption)
- Foreign Service Officer for the US Department of State
- Founder, DocBerry International
- Northwestern, Master’s in Public Policy and Administration (2018 Candidate)
- University of Utah, BA in Behavioral Science, Business Minor
At Cicero Group, Carrie is focused on driving improvements to student outcomes, particularly for highly-impacted populations, by coupling her ten years of classroom and five years of administrative experience. As a former Dean of Students, she has experience growing enrollment and has successfully designed and implemented K-12 character education programs as a Fellow.
- Fellow at National Association of Independent Schools
- Dean of Students and Admission Director
- Teacher, St. Vrain Valley School District, Colorado
- Pacific University, MEd; University of Puget Sound, BA; University of Burgundy, BA
Catherine has extensive experience in the public and social sectors in program design, implementation, and evaluation. Most recently at the George W. Bush Institute, Catherine was responsible for the development and execution of national and international programs, including Presidential Leadership Scholars. Additionally, she lead the design and implementation of robust measurement and evaluation strategies across the Institute and, previously for the US Department of Education.
- Chief of Staff, Office of the State Superintendent of Education, Washington, DC
- Deputy Assistant Secretary at the US Department of Education
- Vanderbilt University, BS & PhD; University of Texas, M.Ed.
Dallin has experience serving the needs of finance and education clients. Prior to joining Cicero Group, he worked in the United States House of Representatives, as a public school teacher in the Bronx with Teach For America, and for ReadWorks, an educational nonprofit. Dallin graduated magna cum laude from Brigham Young University with a degree in international relations and holds a master of arts in teaching from the Relay Graduate School of Education.
- Teach for America Corps Member, New York City
- Curriculum Writer and Technology Consultant, ReadWorks
- Brigham Young University, BA International Relations
Daniel Groberg is an Associate with Cicero Group, and part of Cicero’s Social Impact Practice. He has led and contributed to projects across multiple industries, services, and sectors—in particular: technology, marketing, healthcare, nonprofit, and operations improvement. Prior to Cicero, Daniel served as controller for Premier Credit Consulting, a credit consulting and repair firm. In that capacity, Daniel led all company-wide financial strategies and initiatives. By streamlining collection, budget, and forecast processes, Daniel increased financial transparency and improved the rate of successful payment collection. Daniel graduated from Utah State University with a degree in accounting.
- Controller with Premier Credit Consulting
- Researcher at the Center for Public Lands and Rural Economics
- Utah State University, Bachelors in Accounting
Geoff is an entrepreneur turned social entrepreneur. In addition to his many accomplishments, he is currently the Chairman of the board of Align17, a UBS-sponsored impact investing platform for institutional and high net worth investors. He is also a Venture Partner at Arctaris Capital, a $500m impact investment fund targeting job creation in distressed urban and rural US markets. For the last 5 years Geoff has been leading the Perpetual Education Fund and building Self-Reliance Services for the LDS Church. He has founded, co-founded or advised 25 start-ups and investment funds, sat on 12 boards and helped about 75 million people work their way out of poverty. He earned a bachelor’s degree from Brigham Young University, a master’s degree from Harvard’s Kennedy School has been trained as an Emergency Medical Technician.
- Venture Partner: Arctaris Capital
- Chairman: Align17
- Director of Field Operations: Perpetual Education Fund
- Board Memberships: Kiva, Vittana, Juntos
- CEO: White Hat Ventures
- Chairman: Waste Ventures
- Member, Global Agenda Council on Social Innovation: World Economic Forum
- President and CEO: Unitus
Dr. Pettersson brings a broad array of expertise gained in the public and private sectors. She started her career teaching adjudicated youth in 1994, over the years she broadened her experience by teaching in elementary, middle and high school classrooms. As a licensed psychologist she worked with individuals, families, and schools to build trauma informed practices and increase social and emotional learning (SEL). Hollie also serves as a university instructor working with pre-service teachers, aspiring school psychologists, and principals. She is a skilled leadership coach, drawing on lessons learned through administrative roles at the state-, district-, and school-levels and the experiences she shares with school and district partners across the country. Through a 2007 ballot initiative, a transformation district of 34k students was established and Hollie was appointed as a key cabinet member, Director of Teaching and Learning. In this role, she facilitated restructuring of all academic programs to enable sustainable innovation and implementation of evidence-based practices for curriculum, instruction, assessment, and teacher and administrator learning. She has developed several curricular programs, serves on boards for mission driven organizations, and is a frequent author of articles on student achievement, educational improvement, teacher leadership, and social impact. Dr. Pettersson holds a Ph.D. in Psychology, her doctoral dissertation focused on school improvement with an emphasis on equity, access, and implementation science. She also holds master degrees in Educational Leadership and Policy and Special Education. You can reach Hollie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Adjunct Professor, University of Utah
- School District Curriculum Director, Administrator, Psychologist and Teacher
- University of Utah, School of Psychology, PhD, MA, MS, APA accredited
Jacob has worked with mission-driven organizations for over fifteen years and in a dozen countries around the world. He has led the strategic design, implementation, and measurement of social impact programs run by Presidents Bush and Clinton, Goldman Sachs, the Alzheimer’s Association, the Nature Conservancy, and many others. He serves on the board of directors for Mary’s Meals, which feeds a daily meal in school to one million children living in desperate poverty.
- Manager, The Bridgespan Group
- Project Lead, NP Strategies
- University of California San Diego, PhD; Stanford University, MA
Jennifer is a highly motivated, results-oriented and empathetic professional dedicated to helping organizations and individuals achieve excellence and breakthrough results. She has developed a recognized expertise in change and transformation management in both profit and nonprofit sectors. Jennifer is now sought after for her leadership coaching and team building talent, focused on helping leaders tackle the challenges inherent in their roles, enabling both personal growth and organizational results.
- Executive Coach, The Tankersley Group
- Global Knowledge Expert: Change Management, The Boston Consulting Group
- Cofounder, Principal, Board Chair, and Advisor, NP Strategies
- Project Leader, Consultant, The Boston Consulting Group
- The Anderson School at UCLA, MBA
Jonathan has experience serving the needs of clients in the areas of arts and entertainment, technology, and education. He began his career in investment banking with Wells Fargo Securities and also worked as an investment analyst at Franklin Templeton Investments. Jonathan graduated from Brigham Young University with a joint degree in economics and mathematics and has an MBA from The University of Chicago Booth School of Business.
- Investment Banking Analyst, Wells Fargo Securities
- Corporate Bond Analyst, Franklin Templeton Investments
- The University of Chicago Booth School of Business, MBA
- Brigham Young University, BS Mathematics, Economics
Michelle Call has experience consulting finance, technology, and nonprofit clients. Prior to joining Cicero Group, she developed a new product line and patent-pending analytics platform for a national food service company. She also worked at Sears Holding Corporation, New Level Group Consulting, and in the United States Senate. Michelle graduated from the University of Chicago with honors and a degree in political science.
- Business Analyst, SAGE Dining Services
- Business Analyst Intern, Sears Holdings Corporation
- President, recipient of Distinguished Service Award, UChicago chapter of business-interest professional fraternity
- University of Chicago, BA
Quinn has experience serving the needs of technology, social impact, entertainment, and education clients. Prior to joining Cicero Group, he worked as a marketing manager for regional Ford dealerships and at Sorenson Capital, a venture capital and private equity firm. Quinn graduated from Brigham Young University with a degree in business management and a minor in Chinese.
- Consumer Analytics Manager, Catch It Events
- Brigham Young University, BS Management and Chinese
Rocio Summers has extensive strategy and financial consulting experience, with a focus on international corporations and not-for-profit organizations. She held various positions at Maxam North America, including Chief Financial Officer from 2006 to 2016, and currently sits on the board for SelectHealth, Girls on the Run, Utah Women’s Forum, and Pilar Pobil’s Legacy Foundation. Rocio has aided the international expansion of large corporations and led numerous finance and accounting teams.
- Founder, RS International Business Consulting
- Board Member, SelectHealth, Intermountain Healthcare Group
- CFO, Maxam North America
- Instituto de Empresa (ie) in Madrid, MA Harvard Business School, General Management Program
Tyler Hardy is an Engagement Manager at Cicero Group. In this role, Tyler has provided strategic insight and direction to major public and private entities in the Technology, Entertainment, Retail, and Healthcare industries. He also works frequently with nonprofit organizations to define change models, drive social innovation, and measure impact. Tyler’s expertise spans strategic planning, new product development, process improvement, and service and experience design. His major projects have included the integration of a predictive sales model that increased close rates by 10% and average per unit price by 12%, and the design of a nationally recognized leadership development program sponsored by former U.S. presidents.
- Strategy and Analytics Manager, Nike
- Kellogg School of Management, MBA
- Northwestern University, MS Design Innovation
- Brigham Young University, BS in Management